经验值
魅力
精华
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2011-10-30 21:04:51 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

What I Have Lived For

Bertrand Russell

Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the verge of despair.

I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy --- ecstasy so great that I would have sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness --- that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it, finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring vision of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what --- at last --- I have found.

With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of men, I have wished to know why the stars shine. And I have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which number holds away above the flux. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.

Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberated in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a hated burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.

This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and I would gladly live it again if the chance were offered to me.

我为何而活

伯兰特.罗素

三种简单却难以抗拒的情感支配着我的生活:对爱的渴望、对知识的探求、对人类痛苦不可遏制的同情。他们如阵阵飓风,任意地将我心吹的飘来荡去,经过痛苦的深渊,抵达绝望的边缘。

我寻找爱,首先,爱情令人心醉神迷,这种沉醉是如此美妙,以至于我愿意用余生来换取那几个小时的快乐。我寻找爱,其次是因为它可以摆脱孤独,置身于那种可怕的孤独中,犹如颤抖的灵魂在世界的边缘,看到冰冷的、死寂的、无底深渊。我寻找爱,还因为在爱的结合中,我见到了先贤和诗人们梦想中天堂的神秘缩影。 这就是我所追求的,尽管对于凡人来说,这好像是一种奢望。但这是我最终找到的。

我曾以同样的热情来追求知识。我一直渴望能理解人类的心灵,也渴望能知道为什么星星会发光。我还想理解毕达哥拉斯学派的理论,他们认为数字主载着万物的此消彼长。我学到了一点知识,但是不多。

爱情和知识,总是可以将我引领到天堂的境界。可是,同情心总是将我带回现实世界。痛苦的呼唤在我心中久久回响,那些饥渴的孩童,压迫者折磨的受害者,被子女视为可憎负担的、无助的老人们,以及那无处不在的孤单、贫穷和痛苦都是在讽刺着人类所本应该有的生活。我渴望能够消除人世间的邪恶,可是力不从心,我自己也同样遭受着它们的折磨。

这就是我的生活。我觉得活一场是值得的。如果再给我机会的话,我愿意开心地,再活一次。

―――――――――――
伯兰特.罗素(Bertrand Russell,1872-1970),英国著名哲学家、数学家、社会学家和文学家。他在多个领域都取得了巨大成就。他所著的《西方的智慧》、《西方哲学史》对中国读者影响很大。大部分著作都能把理论的深刻性和表达的通俗性结合起来,既有亚里士多德、黑格尔的思辨性,又有伏尔泰、达芬奇作品的文采,其流畅清新的散文在英国文学中享誉甚高。1950年被授予诺贝尔文学奖。

平实、自然。
高级模式
B Color Image Link Quote Code Smilies

本版积分规则

QQ|手机版|小黑屋|Archiver|五常信息网(五常论坛) ( 黑ICP备06006344号

GMT+8, 2024-5-9 03:43 , Processed in 0.057822 second(s), 27 queries .